Kit and Equipment
Are you walking on Snowdon?
Here is the comprehensive Kit List that we recommend, regardless of whether you are booking on to one of our Climb Snowdon events, or just planning a day’s walk on Snowdon. If you come with a map and compass, we’ll certainly help you practise some map reading and compass skills on your walk.
We hope this Kit List is helpful and shows what weather factors influence the type of clothing that’s useful when walking in the mountains – which include colder temperatures, higher chance of rainfall, stronger winds as well as heat and sun.
Please read our Kit List carefully and make a note of what you have and what you might need to obtain - and please contact us to discuss your options if you’re missing anything.
Summer Walking Kit List
- Rucksack – at least 25 litres
- Rucksack liner (or bin bag) – to keep rain out!
- Sturdy, comfy walking boots with ankle support
- Comfortable, thick walking socks
- Base Layer/T-shirt (not cotton)
- Comfortable walking trousers (not jeans)
- Fleece layer/jacket
- Spare warm layer in rucksack (possibly another for early Spring/late Autumn temperatures)
- Waterproof jacket - essential
- Waterproof trousers – essential (and separate to your walking trousers)
- Warm hat - essential
- Warm gloves – essential
- Large scale Snowdon map (OS Map OL17 Snowdon)
- Headtorch (especially in early Spring or late Autumn)
- At least 1.5 litres water in a re-usable bottle (do not discard plastic bottles on the mountain)
- Pack lunch/snacks/sweets
- Trekking poles (highly recommended for descending and rocky steps)
- Suncream/Sunglasses/Sun Hat
- Mobile Phone in a waterproof case/bag
- First Aid Kit – personal blister protection, personal medication, painkillers, plasters
Please contact us for further advice about a Winter Walking Kit List.
To help you arrive as prepared as possible, we have also partnered with Outdoorhire to produce a series of kit lists which enable you to either hire or purchase certain items you may be missing. Take a look at your particular kit list and let us know if you have any queries.
If you find any items useful to you on these lists, please contact Outdoorhire who will then help you further.